Monday, 28 December 2015

All I wanted was Gym access.......

As most of you know I got seriously into my fitness a couple of years ago and loved everything about it. Along with not having to lose my love for good food (and wine!), I enjoyed the physical challenges and really started to get a buzz out of running.  Well, moving to India, and then hurting my foot hindered my fitness journey and I have to say that, sadly, things have not gone as planned. This has not only messed with my fitness goals and journey, but with my head as well.  And we won't talk about my waistline!!

Anyway, I have recently had some relief with my foot and have been able to start running again which is making me feel so much happier. However, the hills here are NOT a runners friend !!  But running is not everything I loved about fitness, and I really wanted to join a gym and get back to weights training and mixing things up.  The issue I came across here, is that in the area where we live, there are no (and I mean no) commercial gyms available for joining.  I would have to travel to either Kowloon or to the Island to use a gym, and that just doesn't fit into the daily routine of our family.  So, asking around I heard that the HK Government had facilities available for residents to use.  That sounded perfect, so off I went to investigate.

Now, this investigation started back in August, when we returned from Australia (with a few more added kilos to lose!) and, you may be wondering if I have been slack and taken this long to get to writing this blog..... but no.  The process has taken a good 3 months to get completed.

Ok, so the first step is to get an application form, within a set timeframe, to apply for entering a ballot for a later set timeframe, to hope to get chosen to complete a 'Briefing on Proper Ways to use Fitness Equipment'  Yep.... It's crazy.  Now, getting this form in both Cantonese and English is always fun and even getting an understanding of what was involved was challenging. Nonetheless, after visiting the local government centre I left with the necessary paperwork.

Step two, is to compete the paperwork and provide confirmation of residency and address. The form was relatively simple and just outlined the risks to exercising without doctors recommendations etc -pretty standard gym forms.  So after competing this form and photocopying my HKID card, a couple of days later I dropped back in to lodge the form - but no.....the handing over of the paperwork needed to be done within a specific five day window - I was 2 days early!!

Two days later I returned and lodged the form.

A fortnight later, I received a letter in the mail saying I had been successfully chosen to participate in the 'Briefing' and then able to complete the exam.  However, to accept this spot I needed to visit the centre and accept the acceptance - and you guessed it, I could only accept between a certain date range. So, I managed to get there and receive my entry ticket for the session which was to be held in 3 weeks time.

Time ticked away and finally my session day arrived - I was warned to be very prompt and have all paperwork with me.  Arriving and having my named ticked off, I then realised that I was the only westerner in the entire building. Hmmm, you can imagine my concern when the instructor looked at me and started talking to me in Cantonese! Oh dear..... He doesn't speak ANY English!!! It's a 3 hour session including and exam and he can only speak Cantonese........they definitely knew I didn't speak canto beforehand but no one seemed to have told the instructor.....

Luckily, a young lady offered to translate for me and as it turned out it was all commonsense and I didn't need translations at all. They managed to find me an English exam paper, and the very simple questions meant I had no issues passing.  It was basically ensuring that you knew how to safely use the equipment and know your limits because there are no instructors or trainers on the floors at these government facilities.

After finishing the course, I can now pay $180 per month to use the facilities (about AUD 30 per month). Which is incredible given a commercial gym here costs about 3 times that.

The gym facilities are actually pretty good, not an abundance of machines but sufficient, and I hope I can go at off-peak HK times - ie during the morning. 

This has been quite the experience but one that I'm proud to say that I have accomplished. Let's hope the upcoming training now pays off. x

No comments:

Post a Comment