I have mentioned previously about the hills and stairs that are 'everywhere' in Hong Kong. It has been quite an adjustment from the very flat landscape of Bangalore in India. I have to say that the first week or so it was quite the workout when you went out for a walk. Now, we are getting very used to the physical ups and downs of Hong Kong. We are still working on the emotional peaks.
I am starting to embrace these hills and actually enjoy the challenges they bring. Even the walk to the boys bus-stop daily is very steep - all be it only about 50 metres. The first week, Max complained about the hill but now he is racing up there. I love that if I choose to go for a walk, no matter how long or short, it will be a decent workout just due to the hills and stairs.
It made me think about whether the locals her in Hong Kong are fit and healthy ? I see them walking everywhere every day and they cope with the hills with ease. So surely, that makes Hong Kong a healthy place, but no. A little bit of research shows that most people living in Hong Kong are not doing any exercise, eating take-out and not drinking enough water. With such high humidity here, water consumption is paramount.
The other scary thing is the children are now under a growing pressure to study more and improve their grades, and forego regular exercise. The pressure to perform academically is so high, that some kids are not doing ANY physical exercise each week. I am happy to say that our boys are not the norm and are happy to go hiking with their Mum anytime.
I think the older locals are in better shape then the kids and young adults put together. They seem to always be out and about and they have fabulous facilities for the elderly wanting to stay fit - tai chi, elderly exercise equipment in parks, sword fighting lessons, traditional Chinese dancing. The are very happy and always outdoors doing something.
Anyway, I'm off to hit some hills. (below are a few photos from this week)
| the view on the other side of our range |
![]() |
| The steps leading up !! |
![]() |
| trail walking is quite the challenge with my dodgy foot - but I love it |
| that is a view of our little village |
![]() |
| Can't go round it, can't go under it, can't go through it - will have to go OVER it 1 |





No comments:
Post a Comment