Monday, 20 April 2015

Are we settling in - hmmm?

It has been a hectic few weeks and the question constantly asked of us is, 'are we settling in?'. I hate to say it but I think I'm finding this transition harder than our move to India - surprising, I know. Maybe I didn't prepare my 'headspace' for this one?!?

A few things have added to the situation which have increased the difficulty.

1. Work: I wasn't able to arrange to take a block of time off moving to HK (like I did with our last move), so having to try and work, which is crazy busy at the moment, with the boys has been tough.  We have also had to do all the admin things which take a lot of time:
Hong Kong ID card which makes us residents
Finding a house
Arranging utilities
Buying a car
Arranging a HK drivers license
School uniforms
Furniture shopping .... Just to name a few! We actually have a relocation group assisting us with the move, but we still have to physically do most of the changes.

2. I am finding the language barrier much more difficult to deal with then when in India. Obviously I don't speak Cantonese (or Mandarin) and most locals in shops, train stations, taxis, workman, buses etc do not speak English. This makes for fun adventures when getting things done. I am taking a lot of public transport until we get the car later this week and not speaking the same language makes for some interesting adventures. We have found a great app where you type in the location and it creates a destination card to show the Taxi driver - a lifesaver! It's called: Hong Kong Taxi Translator. Well worth buying if you ever come here and take taxis!!  

I am still not sure what the process is to get off a bus - today I moved to the front of local mini-bus in our village area and just said 'excuse me driver, next stop'. The stop was about another 500m up the hill but he slammed on the brakes, I nearly landed on the dashboard, he opened the doors and sped off. Kicked to the curb!!

3. Friendliness: you can say a lot of things about the Indians but they really are a friendly bunch. I cannot say the same for the Cantonese. Generally everyone in Hong Kong is in a super hurry and no one is stopping to chat. Hopefully this will change when we move to the house and I can spend some time at the boys schools and get to know some 'locals'.

4. Cost : wowsers this place is expensive!! I know I'll get used to it but, once again, after India it's quite a shock. My $450 chiropractor appointment was incredibly painful in more way than one.  It has made me pull my head in a lot and we have eaten at home most nights. Me cooking in our 1*1 metre kitchenette!! It's tight!! 

I'm sure things will improve, and in time I will accept the above things as normal.  For now, I'll just join the made scramble that is Hong Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment