Sunday, 31 January 2016

Australia Day and Chinese New Year celebrations !

This week we had the fun of celebrating both Australia Day and then, Chinese New Year at school.  Chinese New Year is not until next week but the school celebrated early to ensure most children were able to participate.  So, lets start with Australia day - as it was a school day, the boys didn't really get to celebrate very much, which meant I felt the need to remind them of home.  So I spent the afternoon making lamingtons for afternoon tea.  These little squares of sugar definitely bought a smile to their faces.  I hope all my fellow Aussies enjoyed Australia Day, and their day off work.

Then, Wednesday was the Chinese New Year celebrations at school.  The Primary school had class performances to entertain and celebrate the year of the Monkey.  I was very unprepared and didn't manage to buy chinese outfits for the boys (something to remember for next year's celebrations.....).  So my boys were some of the only children just wearing their uniform, but it didn't seem to stop them enjoying the dances.

The boys are improving all the time with their Mandarin lessons, and celebrations like this really help them stay encouraged and help learn more about the Chinese culture.  The dragon dance at the start was performed by the Year 5 class, as this is their last performance as part of the Primary School.

We hope you all enjoy the Year of the Monkey !!     Xĩn nián kuài lè

















No comments:

Post a Comment